Friday, August 3, 2012

Weight Loss Starting Line



So in order to make myself more accountable for exercising and eating right and stuff, I'm going to start posting daily about where I'm at and how I'm doing that day.

To start out, let's talk about what's going on with me. So first of all I have hypothyroidism. That can cause weight gain, fatigue, minor depression, etc. etc. I currently take a thyroid medication every morning to help my thyroid. I also have a Vitamin D deficiency which is essential to thyroid processes. So I take a supplement for that. (about 5000 iu's)

My doctor also believes I have poly-cystic ovarian syndrome. This can also causes weight gain and even makes it difficult to lose weight. For this my doctor has prescribed Metformin, a medication commonly used for diabetic patients but has been successful in helping people with PCOS control their weight. It should also help with hormone issues like my acne.

In addition to the other medications, my doctor has prescribed Phentermine to help speed up my weight loss. I take half a pill each morning with my thyroid medicine.

So basically I've got a mix of genetics and heath conditions that compiled with my bad habits have gotten me to the state I'm in today.

Last year I did Weight Watchers and was really strict with myself. I was down to 180 in September, the lowest I've been in a couple of years. Then I just couldn't get any lower and actually slowly started gaining weight again even thought I stayed on my diet. That's what prompted me to set an appointment with Dr. Lundell who has had success with PCOS.

So anyway, I'm hoping that with the meds I'll be able to get further this time. My highest was 214 and I'm down to 205 right now. Which according to my Wii fit makes my BMI 32.99. I think my waist measurement is a 36, but I'm not sure that I'm measuring in the right place. My Wii fit says to have a healthy BMI I should weigh around 123. That's a pretty long way to go, and I wasn't even that thin when I was a teenager. I feel that 150 would be reasonable enough and that's at the high end of normal.

My doctor believes I could be down to 170 by October when I have my next appointment with him. The important thing at this point of my life is that I'm at a high risk of health problems if I don't change. The most pressing of this is decreased fertility. With PCOS I'll have trouble getting pregnant and if I don't lose the weight I have a higher risk of miscarriages.

I recently bought myself a retro exercise bike
isn't it cute?

So hopefully with my bike the house I can just get on and not have to worry about what exercise to do or where to start. So that's somewhere to start anyway. Then once I feel stronger I can progress to riding my real bike in the real world.

Wow, this post ended up being a lot longer than I thought it would be. Anyway, just wanted to put something down in words so that I can see how I'm progressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment